Thursday, November 27, 2008
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Monday, November 24, 2008
So today, we're featuring Ellembee, a shop which I found on Etsy, by doing some looking around in the Time Machine. This shop has clothing that is TOTALLY my style! I just love the designs on Lisa's products. Here's her Etsy Mini so that you can see what I'm talking about:
I asked Lisa to share a little about herself, and here is what she shared (adapted from another blog interview in which she participated):
TDB: How long have you been screen printing and working with clothing, and how did you become interested in it?
Lisa: I just started screen printing about 5 months ago. I was a bedding designer in California for the past 4 years, until I got laid off in January. I moved back to Michigan, where I grew up, and had to find a way to make some money! I had taken a screen printing class in college, so I knew the basics. I looked at some how-to videos on Youtube, and read a few books on the subject, and just sort of fumbled my way through figuring out how to do it!
TDB: What is your personal favorite of your collection and why?
Lisa: I have a love/hate relationship with lacy indigo. The design that I originally thought of for that shirt looks totally different. I sort of happened upon the way it ended up looking, and I think it turned out great. That shirt is my best seller, and I think it's the most original in my line, but because of the bleaching process that I do, and the intricacy of the design, I mess up a lot of them that can't be sent out, (that's the part I hate!)
TDB: Things are tough these days, especially for many of us "starving artists". What do you do to stay positive in such a difficult field?
Lisa: I LOVE working for myself! I love the fact that how much money I make is completely up to me; I take full responsibility for my income. With amazing places like etsy.com and the local craft fairs that I do, the sky is the limit. I find myself working 14-hour days, 6 and 7 days a week, and it doesn't even faze me, because I love what I'm doing! I love my job!
Here's what I would pick if I were eligible to enter:
For one extra entry: Please blog about this giveaway and then post the link to your blog post in a separate comment.
For one more extra entry: For Bloggers only, you can "Follow" us by clicking on "Follow This Blog", up on the top right hand side. It doesn't count if you are already following us. Please leave a separate comment if you decide to become a "follower".
For one more entry: Add our blog to your blogroll. Please leave a separate comment with the link to your blog.
For one MORE entry: If you TWEET about this giveaway, you can earn an extra entry. Please put "@rioosodesigns" at the beginning of your tweet, so that I can see where you tweeted. Then come back here and leave a separate comment about your tweet.
WHEW! Ok, deadline to enter is Sunday, November 30th at Midnight PST. You MUST have a valid email attached either to your blog account, or to your comment. This giveaway is open worldwide.
Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving!
Friday, November 21, 2008
TDB: If you had 3 wishes granted to you, what would you wish for?
Jenny: Tricky question.. Hm.. I think I would have to be a bit materialistic and ask for 1. 'never have to worry about money', you know - so you have enough to get by and a little more. 2. For my loved ones to be happy and live well. 3. Being able to teleport myself all over the place (would be very practical).Hm, that last one might change a bit, but the other two will stay the same. :)Then again, you gather wisdom all your life by living & learning.
TDB: Please share 3 random, little known facts about you
* I was in a youth circus when I was younger. Doing simple acrobatics dressed up as a native american (in a shirt & pants made out of brown flanell that my mother had made, and with red & white stripes in my face).
* I really like playing computer games, especially where you get to chop around with swords and such..Guns works too :) .. There must be a plot though, adventure and excitement. My favorites are Monkey Island x 4, Morrowind, Fable, Half-Life and NoOneLivesForever.. Those are the ones I've played the most. I think...
* I have never smoked a single cigarette. Er.. Oh well, I couldn't come up with any other fact just now.. :)
Thanks Jenny! It was great to find out a little more about the woman behind the designs!
The Giveaway: A $15.00 "Gift Certificate" to Jenny's shop on Etsy.com.
To Enter: Please visit Jenny Karlsson Design, then come back here and leave a comment about either your favorite item in Jenny's shop or what you would spend this gift certificate on, if you are the winner. Please be sure to have a VALID email address attached to either your comment (like this: downtownboutique (at) sbcglobal (dot) ne), or your Blogger account. You do not have to have a Blogger account to enter, as long as you have an email made available to us.
For one extra entry: Please blog about this giveaway and leave a separate comment with the link to your post.
For another entry: We'd love to have you follow our blog! You will get updates in Blogger with each new post. Yes, you must have a Blogger account for this one. No, it doesn't count if you are already following.
Deadline to enter: Thursday, November 27th at Midnight PST. Giveaway is open worldwide.
Have a great weekend!
We are trying to raise money for the adoption fees, and so we are offering an adoption special in our Rio Oso Designs shop right now. From now, through the end of December, you can receive 20% off on anything in the shop. Your discount will come in the way of a Paypal refund after you have completed your payment.
Your dicount code is ADOPT20. Please mention this code in your "Notes to Seller", when you are checking out.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Today we are featuring one of our Project Wonderful advertisers, Crocheted Little Things. Lu makes some wonderful crocheted items, including Christmas ornaments, baby booties, and more.
Let's hear from Lu herself:
Hi, My name is Lu and I'm the owner of "Crocheted Little Things" under the nick name of piccoladonna2006. I come from Italy, and in Italian "piccola donna" means "little woman" and that's where my shop name come from. I'm a 26 yo stay at home busy mom of 2 wonderful kids and I have this big passion for crochet. I learned how to crochet when I was 9-10 from my mom who is a "doilie maker". It was something I liked to do during summer breaks, but never thought I could use it like I'm doing now! My biggest inspiration is the enthusiasm my kids share with me when looking at my new creations ot comes from little daily things....the necessity of a warm garment, the willing of embellish my house...I do not consider this like a job simply because I really enjoy crochet each and every piece!
A Giveaway from Crocheted Little Things: This darling set of four Crocheted Cupcake Christmas Ornaments.
To enter: Please visit Crocheted Little Things, then come back here and comment about your favorite item from Lu's shop.
Deadline to enter is Wednesday, November 26th at Midnight PST. Giveaway is open to everyone worldwide.
Hurry! Go! Rush on over to find out what Sydnei has said about me! There's even a giveaway with TWO winners!!! CLICK HERE.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Thursday, November 13, 2008
What a fantastic gift! Did you take some great Fall pictures this year? Have another reason for NEEDING a free photo book? I think I will get this free photobook to use with our little guy whom we are adopting, to help him learn his words. He has developmental delays, and has some speech issues. We also want to do a book for him to help him identify the special people in his life.
Here's the site: Inkubook.com
Here's the promotion code: PBK266
Follow the instructions to sign up, start your book, and invite your friends (they’ll get a promotion code, too!)
Create your photo book within 30 days of joining.
All you have to pay is shipping!
The book is free! ENJOY
Now scoot! You've got to place your order by November 30th!!
Today we are featuring Candie's Jewelry Designs, from Sylvania, Ohio. Take a peek into Candie's Jewelry Designs, and you will find some pieces of jewelry that will make perfect stocking stuffers from wives, moms, daughters, aunts, grandma's, cousins, nieces, friends, teachers....well, you get the picture. Candice, the owner of Candie's, has this to say about herself and her jewelrymaking:
I am absolutely in heaven when I'm creating with all my jewels and findings! I love creating something new, I get so darn excited, I sometimes think my family thinks I've totally lost it, lol! I think I dream jewelry, in fact I know I do! My new found love is vintage findings and brass, especially "vintaj" brass findings! Really, I just love it all!
1. One entry: Please visit Candie's Jewelry Designs, find your favorite item, then come back here and comment about it. PLEASE be sure to leave a valid email address, or have one attached to your Blogger account. You do not have to have a Blogger account to enter...you simply must leave me an easy way to get ahold of you.
2. One additional entry: Please blog about this giveaway, then leave a separate comment, with a link to your blog post.
3. One additional entry: We'd love to have you follow us (if you have a Blogger account), so if you leave a separate comment after you have signed up to follow this blog, you will gain an extra entry.
Deadline to enter is Wednesday, November 19th at Midnight PST.
Giveaway is open worldwide.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Sunday, November 9, 2008
From Top to Bottom and Left to Right (Click on the item to purchase or view.):
1. Hand Engraved Hunter Folding Knife from DJ Reigel: $165.00
2. Men's Rich Lathering Shaving Cube with Chrome Stand from Shop Red Leaf: $11.00
3. Wide Hand-Tooled Leather Belt from Art of Spirit Leatherworks: $45.00
4. Black Ship Organic Tee from Cypress Ink: $20.00
5. Batman Engraved Mother of Pearl Cufflinks from Dug Designs: $35.00
6. Titanium Band from Banaitis and Richter: $50.00
7. Lincey Leather Key Fob with Escutcheon and Vintage Key from Urban Heirlooms: $25.00
8. Sterling Silver Money Clip from Chris Parry: $69.99
9. MATT Dark Olive Green Mans Short Scarf (hat is separate) from Romeo Romeo: $38.00
10. Sailboat Blueprint Silk Necktie from Tie One On: $15.00
11. Moonlit Path Soap from Thistle Delight: $5.00
12. Screwdriver Keyring from Woodcrafts and Candles: $15.00
Friday, November 7, 2008
We've finally reached the 21st century...we now have Project Wonderful ad space available! If you look on the left hand side, and scroll down just past the Etsy Mini Ad Space, you will see our Project Wonderful ad space. Interested? Click on the link just under the ad space to place your bid!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Today we are featuring That Funky Boutique, and its owner, Angie.
That Funky Boutique's owner and designer, Angie Eisman is pleased to offer an eclectic array of products including unique children's wear and soft toys as well as accessories for the whole family. "I've recently launched a new line of winter hats that I'm thrilled about. Inspired by my kids' mismatching of their clothes, I've made these hats with a whimsical mismatched style. And blended in my green, eco-friendly sensibilities by making them with 100% recycled wool and cashmere!" Each hat is one of a kind and hand made with care in the western mountains of North Carolina.
Available at http://www.thatfunkyboutique.etsy.com
Wholesale inquiries welcome!
3 random facts about Angie.
1. I'm a homeschooling mom. A brand spankin' new one. I'll be honest—some days are a complete blur! Others a complete joy. During both types of days I'm constantly reminded just why I'm doing what I'm doing...more precious time together that I know I'll never regret.
2. My favorite artistic endeavors: illustration and wheel thrown pottery. Sadly I haven't found time for much of either lately. Soon. I hope. Very soon.
3. I love Greek food! olives, seafood, feta, bread. yum!
Enter to Win:
1. Visit That Funky Boutique, and comment about your favorite item in the shop. Please leave a VALID email address with your comment.
2. For another entry, you can choose to follow this blog. Just let me know in a separate comment that you are now a Follower.
3. For another entry, you can post about this giveaway on your own blog. Please leave a link to your post in a separate commen.
Deadline to enter is Wednesday, November 12th at Midnight PST. Giveaway is open worldwide. Winner will be chosen via Random.org. If you have no email address attached to your comment or your Blogger account, and you are chosen, we will choose a new winner.
Have a great weekend!
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Monday, November 3, 2008
Do have an Etsy Shop or a website and you're willing to work out trades for your products? Are you doing some Christmas shopping, and would love to know who works in trade? Please comment here and leave us your info. I will be putting together a list of shops that are willing to take trades. This might just be what we all need, what with the economy doing strange things right now.
UPDATE: WOW! I'm so excited by the response both here, and in the Etsy forums where I posted about this blog post. There are LOADS of people who are open to trade, and thanks to MagicIsland on Etsy, I have been notified of a blog that is specifically a list of those who are willing to trade. Check it out here: Etsy Traders.
Here's a little game that I actually got from my sister in an email some time ago, but saw it again on the Pink Lemonade blog. I thought it would be a little fun to do this.
The rules are that you can only answer each question with one word - not a simple as it sounds. Here goes...
1. Where is your cell phone? Purse
2. Your significant other? Michael
3. Your hair? Brushed
4. Your mother? Compassionate
5. Your father? Working
6. Your favorite thing? Family
7. Your dream last night? Forgotten
8. Your favorite drink? Tea
9. Your dream/goal? Acreage
10. The room you're in? Dining
11. Your fear? Infertility
12. Where do you want to be in 6 years? Acreage
13. Where were you last night? Home
14. What you're not? Techie
15. Muffins? Blueberry
16. One of your wish list items? Camera
17. Where did you grow up? USAF
18. The last thing you did? Lunch
19. What are you wearing? Clothes
20. Your TV? Elmo
21. Your pet? No
22. Your computer? Work
23. Your life? Happy
24. Your mood? Chillin'
25. Missing someone? Mom
26. Your car? Ford
27. Something you're not wearing? Shoes
28. Favorite Store? Target
29. Your summer ? Family
30. Your favorite color? Sage
31. When is the last time you laughed? Today
32. Last time you cried? Yesterday
33. Who will/would re-post this? Others
34. FOUR PLACES I GO OVER AND OVER:
35. FOUR PEOPLE WHO E-MAIL ME:
36. FOUR OF MY FAVORITE FOODS:
37. FOUR PLACES I WOULD RATHER BE RIGHT NOW?
So here's the tag part....if you feel inclined to post this little game on your blog and tag yourself or others, please leave me the link to your blog in a comment so that I can get to know you too!
Have a great week!