Thursday, February 5, 2009

Handmade Thursdays- Heart Shaped Cookie Bouquets!


When I was a young girl, I would go to my grandmother's house every year to make Valentine's Day butter cookies. We'd roll and cut the dough together, then the best part... we'd use all kinds of frosting and candies to decorate the cookies. She'd always have fun heart and other holiday-inspired shaped cookie cutters to make cookie-baking even more fun! This year I'm excited to start the holiday tradition with my own daughter.

While looking for a new way to decorate these great cookies, I stumbled upon The Decorated Cookie's creative idea for heart 'lollipop' cookies. For a change, Meaghan used lollipop sticks and licorice to decorate and 'mix things up a bit'! What a fun way to serve up these treats as a 'cookie bouquet' to friends and family!
You can use any dough for these cookies... but if you'd like to try 'Gam's Best Butter Cookies', here's the recipe:

4 cups flour
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup Crisco
(mix as pie dough)

2 eggs
1 heaping cup sugar
4T milk
1t soda
1t vanilla
Beat together and pour over dry mixture. Mix together and make into 4 balls.

Wrap dough balls in wax paper. Refrigerate overnight before rolling on floured board.
Bake 10-12 mins @ 350.
.
Look for more ways to make it handmade each Thursday on The Downtown Boutique.

Got a unique craft, recipe or decorating idea for 'Handmade Thursdays' and want to be featured on The Downtown Boutique? Contact us! We'd love to hear your feedback on items featured, too!

2 comments:

the decorated cookie said...

Thank you for the shout out! And I bookmarked the recipe, too. I'll be sure to try it! What a nice surprise to see my hearts here, and what a lovely blog you have. meaghan

Alisha said...

I am going to make these this weekend. =)