Friday came and went, and I never got to the Friday Feature, so we are doing it today. Today, we are featuring a shop I found when I was searching Etsy.com for earrings: Heather Berry -- Handmade Jewelry.
Let's hear a little bit about the owner and jewelry maker, Heather.
TDB: When did you start making jewelry, and why?
HB: I started making jewelry almost five years ago after buying a little bag of pretty beads at the Milwaukee Public Museum. My stash has been growing since that day.
TDB: What inspires you when you create?
HB: The components inspire me. Often my designs come as a result of an impulse purchase of some supplies and the figuring out how to make something from it.
TDB: Aside from creating jewelry, what else do you enjoy doing?
HB: I love to cook and eat interesting food. I also love gardening and outdoor activities in general. Most summer days I hit the trail with the double stroller or bike and trailer with my two little ones in tow.
TDB: How did you hear about Etsy.com?
HB: I was at my first craft show (where I sold nothing) and a neighboring vendor suggested I try Etsy. I sold my first item about 20 minutes after I listed it. I was so excited. Selling online is far more fun for me than shopping online!
TDB: What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given?
HB: I get great advice from my husband. He has been my biggest help and supporter. He told me to "just keep going". Starting a business can be tricky and involves a lot of learning as you go. He advised me not to be intimidated by what I didn't know but rather to keep moving forward gleaning knowledge as I went.
TDB: What are three things about you that you LOVE?
HB: This is a hard question!
1. I love that I can cook by instinct. I can't carry a tune, draw a straight line or write an interesting story, but I be creative and successful in the kitchen.
2. I can sleep through a bomb going off.
3. I love that I sometimes surprise myself. I have never considered myself a creative person, so when a new idea pops into my mind and I am able to create it and it looks good and it sells I am usually shocked. Also, many of my creations are romantic and girly and I am a pretty big tomboy. I just love to play and dig in the dirt, so some of my own ideas surprise me.
TDB: If you were given a million dollars, what would you do with it?
HB: I grew up in a house with an income below the poverty line, put myself through college, and my husband ran his own business for the first few years of our marriage, so I have spent much of my life pretty broke. If I were given a million dollars I would probably put it in the bank until the shock wore off then I would:
2. Buy my husband the jeep he has always wanted.
3. I'd put a huge chunk away so he could retire early and be all mine.
4. Buy a small house in the peaceful Bahamian Out Islands and live happily ever after.
Now for the fun. Heather has graciously offered to give away a pair of earrings. You can enter to win these Aqua Quartz and Sterling Silver earrings from Heather Berry.
How to Enter:
1. Visit Heather Berry and then come back here and comment on your favorite item. Be sure to leave a valid email address!
2. For another entry, please blog about this feature. Leave a separate comment with the link to your blog post.
3. For another entry, Twitter about this feature/giveaway. Twitter to @dwntownboutique. Leave a separate comment letting me know that you Twittered, along with your Twitter username.
4. For another entry, we'd love to have you follow our blog. You can become a new follower by clicking on "Follow This Blog" up at the top left. Leave a separate comment letting me know that you are a NEW follower.
Deadline to enter is Monday, May 25th at 11:59pm PST.
Giveaway is open worldwide.
Have a great week!